Sunday, March 12, 2006

To CMW

Instead of posting an album like I usually do, today I am going to post a single song. It is not any song, however. It is, in my opinion, the most beautiful song ever created. "The Trapeze Swinger" by Iron & Wine was featured in the soundtrack for the movie "In Good Company". While the movie itself if mediocre, the song is anything but.

It is a wonderful song about many things; the regrets of youth, frienship, and of the worst loss of all: true love lost. This is one of the few songs that makes me eyes tear up every time I listen to it. At 9 and a half minutes, it is chock full of lyrics I hope only hope to be able to write. This song holds particular interest to me as it has gotten me through hard times, but at the same times made hard times even harder. Every time I listen to it, I remember what I had and lost. My loss is the same as the one portrayed in the song, the loss of the greatest friend (and love) one could ever have. If you have ever lost anyone you cared for more than the entire world, this song will shake you to your core. It is a song of both recollection of the most wonderful times in one's life, and the sadness that these times are not the present, but the past.

Download this song and give it a listen, it is the epitome of bittersweet beauty.

The peraly gates had some eloquent graffiti....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Colin said...

I love this song, this was one of my favorites from last year.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe i almost deleted this song when i was cleaning up my computer.
- Matt

4:33 PM  
Anonymous noetic said...

I first heard this track about 2 weeks ago. I was lying in bed with my pod on shuffle drifting into dream land when of the most emotionally intense songs I've ever heard began to sombrely chime in my ears. I checked the track listing and remembered a Red Tyrannosaurus had posted it a few days before.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

It wasn't just any tyrannosaurus, though. This one was mechanical.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous eugene said...

i'm very touched by the way you claim how much this song means to you, with heartfelt honesty and simplicity. I'll be glad to hear it, since i've never had a chance to. Thanks a lot.

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home