Saturday, April 15, 2006

Os Mutantes


I'm not even going to preten to be an expert on this band. I had not even heard about them until I read that they were being playing for the first time since 1977 at the Pitchfork Music Festival. They are from Brazil and I guess I would consider them psych-pop (is that even a genre?). Anyways, I was skeptical about them since I am usually not a fan of older bands, especially not during the 60's and 70's. I got ahold of their best-of album, and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. They make some damn happy music. The variety and diversity of their music is amazing. They use all sorts of nifty effects and instruments. Some of their songs are in English and some of them are in what I believe is Portuguese. I am still somewhat skeptical of their show at the PFMF. It's been more than 30 years since they're toured last, so I wonder what they still have in the bag. Plus, I would have to imagine they are pretty old by now. Anyways, give them a listen. I have myself a new band to add to the list of stuff I need to listen to more.

Os Mutantes - Baby

Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina

Os Mutantes - Cantor de Mambo

6 Comments:

Blogger Koka Kola said...

one of my all time favorites

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anyways, I was skeptical about them since I am usually not a fan of older bands, especially not during the 60's and 70's."

this is just sad

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Verbal said...

Nice to see you still posting :)You're running very nice blog! I'll also like to recommend some of Rita Lee's solo work - "Build Up" especially.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Denis said...

Pena que a Rita Lee não estará presente na volta dos Mutantes, um dos maiores nomes da história do rock. Sim, eles estão 'velhos', portanto, mais 'apurados', como o vinho. Também aconselho os solos de 'Arnaldo Batista' -'Loki?(74) e 'singing alone'(82). Parabéns pelo blog.
Abraços - Denis/Brasil

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I want to see them. A Minha Menina is one of my favorites of all time! Amazing band, great post.
- Matt Oh No!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Are you going to be at the Pitchfork Festival?

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home